the complicated beauty of Ernst Haeckel


























































Many of you may be familiar with Ernst Haeckel.  A contemporary and supporter of Darwin and a controversial figure (what forward thinker isn't controversial?).  He is a noted 19th Century Scientist and as you can see insanely talented as an artist - his illustrations are mind boggling. 

I have an old copy of the artforms in nature, in german; I just ordered a "new" book from Prestel about Haeckel and his work.

If you are not familiar with him, check out the links below and be prepared to be impressed, wowed and amazed!




























2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books, few people can improve on nature.
    I enjoyed your reading your diverse blog and will visit again. I attempted pottery once but my work was the piece that always exploded in the kiln which made me unpopular.
    David, NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David and thanks for the visit - oh, of course, I would say "take a clay class again" - blow ups happen to everyone!

    and I'm with you on nature - no one can, we can only excel at times in the attempt!

    ReplyDelete